Arbitrary meaning in English: In this article, the meaning of the word ‘Arbitrary’ is explained in simple English with examples, along with its synonyms and antonyms.
‘Arbitrary’ pronunciation= a-bit-ra-ri, a-bit(ra)ri
Arbitrary meaning in English
In simple words, ‘Arbitrary’ means a personal choice that is not based on any reason or need or necessity.
1. ‘Arbitrary’ means decided by chance, by personal interest, by random choice, by whim rather than any reasoning, logic, need, or necessity.
▪ That’s his arbitrary decision to resign.
2. Arbitrary can also mean unrestrained and autocratic use of power.
▪ The arbitrary rule of a dictator is not based on any law, it is based on what
the dictator thinks and chooses.
3. In mathematics, an arbitrary number (for eg. x or y or z, etc.) is a number that represents no specific value. Its value is arbitrary. it could be any number.
|unrestrained use of power|
The word ‘Arbitrary’ acts as an ‘Adjective’.
Sentences that can be formed using the word ‘Arbitrary’ are as follows.
▪ Arbitrary arrest and detention of an individual is a violation of human rights.
▪ He was an arbitrary ruler.
▪ You can alleviate any arbitrary plans you’ve done
▪ Prohibit any arbitrary interference by the government.
▪ That’s an arbitrary choice.
▪ No one shall be subjected to arbitrary arrest, detention, or exile.
▪ The decision was arbitrary and not based on need.
▪ You can alleviate any arbitrary plans you’ve done.
▪ He was arbitrarily terminated from his new job.
Arbitrary other meanings
arbitrary decision= A decision without reasonable grounds or adequate consideration of the circumstances
arbitrary choice= The action that is not based on logic, need, or necessity but on personal choice
arbitrary rule= The rule that is based on what the dictator thinks and chooses
arbitrary punishment= the punishment not set down in law
arbitrary goverment= The government that doesn’t took its decisions on what’s best for the people but is based on what they like best
arbitrary direction= The direction which is taken without any reason
arbitrary power= The uncontrolled power without any restriction
arbitrary arrest= The arrest that has been done without following the law
arbitrary action= The action that is not based on logic, need, or necessity but on personal choice
arbitrary function= The function that is not based on logic, need, or necessity but on personal choice
arbitrary number= A number which could be any number it is defined to be but for which no specific value is chosen
arbitrary detention= Detention done without following the law
The synonyms of the word ‘Arbitrary’ are as follows.
The antonyms of the word ‘Arbitrary’ are as follows.