Despite meaning in English: In this article, the meaning of the word ‘Despite’ is explained in easy English with examples, along with its synonyms and antonyms.
‘Despite’ pronunciation= di-spait, di-spit
Despite meaning in English
Generally the word ‘Despite’ is used to show the difference between negative and positive things.
1. ‘Despite’ means without being affected by any person or by anything or without being influenced by anyone or notwithstanding any specific event.
|Despite- English meaning|
|in spite of|
How to use the word ‘Despite’.
1. ‘That‘ is never used after the word ‘Despite’.
If you have to use ‘That’ with ‘Despite’ then you can do it in the following form.
Example: He criticized the film, despite the fact that he hadn’t seen it.
(You can use ‘That‘ after ‘despite the fact’ but not just after the word ‘Despite’.)
2. The word ‘Of’ is never used after the word ‘Despite’.
3. ‘Despite’ and ‘In spite of’ have the same meaning, so you can use them interchangeably.
4. The placement of the word ‘Despite’ is flexible, so you can place it at the beginning or middle of a sentence.
5. Two opposite statements are joined together by using the word ‘Despite’.
The word ‘Despite’ acts as Noun, an Adverb, and Preposition.
Sentences that can be formed using the word ‘Despite’ are as follows.
▪ Despite all the sadness, we smile.
▪ I love to buy luxurious things despite I am not a rich person.
▪ He loves to smoke cigars despite his health issues.
▪ Despite the hard study, he failed again in exams.
▪ He works hard every day despite the fact, that he is physically weak.
▪ Despite bad weather, she went to the office.
▪ Despite being fever, she went shopping.
▪ I participated in the competition, despite a little chance to win.
▪ Despite heavy traffic, I reached the meeting on time.
▪ Despite his misbehaving, the teacher did not punish him.
▪ Despite many gloomy prognoses.
▪ Despite the fact that although.
▪ Despite the fact that I am young.
▪ Despite me having super sensitive skin.
▪ Despite everything I am going through here.
▪ He ignored his drunken friend out of despite.
▪ Accused experienced the despite from victim parents.
The synonyms of the word ‘Despite’ are as follows.
|in spite of|
|in the face of|
The antonyms of the word ‘Despite’ are as follows.
|in view of|