Except meaning in English: In this article, the meaning of the word ‘Except’ is explained in easy English with examples, along with its synonyms and antonyms.
‘Except’ pronunciation= ik-sept, ek-sept
Except meaning in English
When we mention something that is not included in the statement, we use ‘Except’.
1. With the exclusion of
2. With the exception of
|Except- English meaning
|to the exclusion of|
|so long as|
|in addition to this|
The past tense of the word ‘Except’ is ‘Excepted’ and the present participle or gerund is ‘Excepting’.
The word ‘Except’ acts as a Preposition, Verb, and Conjunction.
With the exception of
▪ I was dressed except for my coat.
▪ There was nothing in the cupboard except apple juice.
▪ The barbershop is open every day except Wednesday.
▪ They all came, except Santosh.
Specify as excluded from a category.
▪ To except to a witness or his testimony.
▪ All students’ names are on the list except Suresh.
‘Except’ is used before a statement that states an exceptional condition.
▪ I didn’t tell her anything, except that I divorced Mary.
▪ I love all types of fruit except guava.
▪ I love coffee except for tea.
▪ Everybody passed the exam except Roshani.
▪ I go to the gym every day except Friday.
‘Except’ other meanings
my contact except= Besides my contact
except me= Besides me
all except= All barring, all besides
all except one= All besides one
except one= Besides one
except one thing= Besides one thing
except one person= Besides one person
The synonyms of the word ‘Except’ are as follows.
The antonyms of the word ‘Except’ are as follows.