Incumbent meaning in English: In this article, the meaning of the word ‘Incumbent’ is explained in easy English with examples, along with its synonyms and antonyms.
‘Incumbent‘ pronunciation= inkambant, in-kamb(a)nt
Incumbent meaning in English
If somebody is ‘Incumbent’ means they are the current holder of an office or post.
‘Incumbent’ is both a ‘Noun and an Adjective’.
▪ As a noun ‘Incumbent’ mean:
1. A person who is currently in an official position.
2. A person who is holding a position in an office, particularly of political office.
3. We can also use ‘Incumbent’ to talk about a company in the business that controls a large significant share of the market.
▪ As an adjective ‘Incumbent’ mean:
1. A responsibility or a duty obligation for someone particularly due to his position in the job or an office.
2. Being the current holder of an office or a title.
3. Big companies that control the market (having a sizeable share of the market).
▪ The incumbent pharmaceutical companies.
|duty of office|
‘Incumbent’ is both an ‘Adjective and a Noun’.
Sentences that can be formed using the word ‘Incumbent’ are as follows.
▪ It is incumbent upon the judges to exercise the utmost discretion in their utterances in the courtrooms.
▪ It was incumbent on newspapers to put the reply of the defense minister on record too.
▪ Incumbent on all of us to keep our great game growing.
▪ PDP candidate Ademola Adeleke defeats the incumbent Governor and wins the Osun Governorship election.
▪ Incumbent on the tech industry to create opportunity in every economy.
▪ Incumbent representative of Democratic, John Sarbanes seeks re-election.
▪ Ottichilo incumbent and UDM candidate Khaniri launch manifestos.
▪ It is incumbent on the screening panel, to be prudent in their duty.
▪ Incumbent Dbeibah rejects Libya’s new prime minister’s appointment.
▪ PM Modi receives Denmark Prime Minister incumbent Mette Frederiksen.
▪ Conservative Politician Kyriakos Mitsotakis wins the greek election, ousting the left-wing incumbent.
▪ Challenger beats long-time incumbent in New York primary.
▪ The incumbent chairman of North East was defeated by over 100 votes.
▪ Incumbent upon us & China to act responsibly to manage what is a very vigorous competition.
▪ Preliminary exit poll gives incumbent president huge lead.
▪ Incumbent lawmaker arrested for sedition charges.
▪ US Election 2020, Incumbent U.S President Donald Trump acknowledges Biden’s win.
▪ Prosecutors likely to question incumbent president this week.
▪ Incumbent mayor draws ire for campaigning with newcomers.
The synonyms of the word ‘Incumbent’ are as follows.
The antonyms of the word ‘Incumbent’ are as follows.