Instead meaning in English: In this article, the meaning of the word ‘Instead’ is explained in easy English with examples, along with its synonyms and antonyms.
‘Instead’ pronunciation= in-sted
Instead meaning in English
1. In the place of something.
2. as a substitute or alternative.
‘Instead’ is used as a substitute in a sentence.
|Instead- English meaning|
|in place of|
|in lieu of|
The word ‘Instead’ acts as an adverb.
‘Instead’ can come in different parts of the sentence like at the beginning, at the end, and in the middle.
Usually, when using ‘Instead’ in a sentence, the word ‘of’ is added to it (Instead of).
Sentences that can be formed using the word ‘Instead’ are as follows.
▪ Instead of dieting, you should eat healthily.
▪ We sometimes drink tea, instead of milk.
▪ Now, I go to school on foot instead of by bus.
▪ I always read books instead of watching movies.
▪ You shouldn’t ride. You should stay at home instead.
▪ Instead of wasting your time on gossip, take a book and try to read it.
▪ You should talk to her instead of writing a letter.
▪ Instead of wasting my time on Facebook, I am doing my study.
▪ I don’t like coffee. I will have tea instead.
▪ Instead of drinking cold drinks in summer, you should drink buttermilk.
▪ We should eat more green vegetables instead of junk food.
‘Instead’ other meanings
mute Instead= In lieu of, turning off the sound
so instead of fighting it= So excepting from fighting it
Instead of that= Excepting that
instead of this= Excepting this
instead of meeting a perfect person= Apart from meeting a perfect person
instead of you= Excepting you
instead of medicine= In place of medicine
instead of a number= Excepting a number
The synonyms of the word ‘Instead’ are as follows.
|in place of|
|as opposed to|
The antonyms of the word ‘Instead’ are as follows.
|as well as|